I was reading the forums over at 20-Something Bloggers and came across a thread where people talk about what they hate about blogs, and it made me start wondering about MY blog - not in the sense that I'm offended or upset or anything, just in the sense of "who am I?" So I guess it was helpful in a way.
A few things they said they hated: long posts, posts about weight loss, posts about relationships, sad posts, happy posts, things that are too personal or not personal enough, posts that are insincere, etc.
Things my blog is so far: long posts, posts about weight loss, posts about relationships, ranty posts, happy posts.
I'm not sure if I'm too personal or not personal enough. I don't really know how to strike the right balance, and I don't really know if the real 'me' comes across through this. I know I'm long-winded, and I tend to get off track, and my point gets lost along the way. Maybe it's because I write TOO much? I don't really know.
I do know what I WANT to be: funny, inspiring, touching, someone people can relate to, articulate. I don't know if I can be those things; I can be ME, but I don't know how that comes across to people. At the same time, this blog is primarily for me, so does it matter how it comes across to others? Yes and no, in that it's for me, but I also sort of want to build a community. Not a big community, I just want friends. I've come across some awesome people out there - not a ton, because I don't prowl the blog world for new blogs to read - but they're people whom I feel like I've gotten to know, even if we don't talk, and it would be awesome if I could get on their radar and we could become bloggy friends. Not for comments, because I don't really care about that (I mean, yes, it's exciting when I get them), but just for...I don't know, a connection! Does that make sense?
This has gotten long again. Oh, silly me. Well, here's to being me, at least. I'm not trying to hide myself or who I am; I guess I'm just trying to figure out WHO I am while trying to find my blogging voice.
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Eck. I saw that discussion as well.
If you are writing a personal blog, write whatever you want! I love reading about people's lives and all the crazyness. And I like writing about my own! Reading & interacting with other blogs will definitely help & inspire you.
I just don't like that they were talking about what they HATE. Also, just because they hate it, doesn't mean it's bad! They are bad negative people! Haha.
Well, you are NEVER going to please everyone with your blog so just do it for you! That's really what it is all about anyway!
Post a Comment